Sara And Chuck (home) :: Rachel :: Parenthood ::
Wishlists :: Top Five :: Books :: Chuck's Fitness
About Us :: Chuck :: Sara :: Contact Us

July 27, 2009

Rachel and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Today was difficult to say the least. She woke early (4:45) and wanted to be in my bed. After much nuzzling and wimpering she finally settled down and fell asleep. This was good because not only did I not want to start my day that early but my abdominal muscles were really hurting me and I absolutely had to roll over.

We got up just past six and the morning seemed alright. I got her fed and dressed and out the door with little trouble. She resisted getting in the car to go to the gym because she wanted to use her new shovel to dig holes in my garden instead. I played the part of the border collie and herded her into her carseat. At the gym she even went poop and pee on the potty. This makes me very happy. I went to water aerobics and couldn't really do much because of my diastasis. When I got Rachel from Y-watch she seemed really tired already but it was only 10:30 so we went out to Kohls to pick up some Carter's for Rachel and little sister. Mommy needed a coffee so we drove through Starbucks and the meltdown started. She cried and cried that she wanted a treat and she wanted a drink of my coffee and she wanted, wanted, wanted...

On the way home nothing helped. I couldn't distract her in any way. She didn't want her favorite music or anything. We got home and she instantly remember that she wanted to dig up my garden. We went inside instead; this didn't please her. She watched some Clifford while I made lunch. Lunch went well. She nearly cleaned her plate and loved the pink lady apples Daddy picked up at the grocery store. She looked ready for bed. She was clearly tired at this point. We brushed up, used the potty again, read a story, and she went right to her pillow to snug it down. She was not interested in me leaving the room however. I said that I needed rest time too and was going to lie down on the couch and as long as she was quiet and stayed in her room I would leave her door open. The minute I left the room she cried and followed me out the door. I said, "I love you," gave her a kiss, and shut the door.

She was fairly quiet and I thought she may actually sleep today. At the very least I thought the quiet time would do her some good. The problem was that she was not being quiet because she was falling asleep but she was being quiet because she decided today was the day to start smearing poop again. For the record the poop is not easier to clean off the door and carpet than it was to clean off the gate. She said, "Ucky Poo. Mom, I have poop in my pants." Of course this was after she had smeared poop all over the door, door frame, carpet, her blanket, Buddy and clothes. It took me a half hour to clean up and then to throw in a load of laundry.

The afternoon was long, very long. Everything made her cry and she was quite accident prone because she was (and will remain) overtired. She wanted hugs and I couldn't lift her. She had to make the effort to climb into my lap; this made her crabby. Her Bobby (blanket) was in the wash and she desperately needed it for some silky. When I told her that it wouldn't be in the wash had she not smeared it with poop it only made matters worse. She wanted to go outside and we got the thunder started to rumble. Seconds later the downpour came. We're lucky we didn't get a tornado; one was spotted just south of us a half hour later.

At 4:30 or so the final meltdown began. She cried and screamed for 45 minutes. I made a bowl of hot cereal for her and she calmed down just long enough to eat it. We got ready for bed and I think she would have fallen asleep but my parents showed up to help me out. Rachel has sonar or something and heard them come in the the back door and wouldn't go to sleep. I finally left the room thinking I was too much of a distraction but it was too late; she wasn't interested in bed anymore. Grandpa went down the hall and after several visits from him she fell asleep at the gate.

Although it was unfortunate timing, I'm so glad my parents came over tonight. I really needed help. Dad took my garbage and compost out, brought in my mail, brought up a load of laundry from downstairs, and emptied, filled and ran my dishwasher. Mom brought me cupcakes, massaged my feet, and commiserated about being pregnant in the summer (with me) and having a very spirited child (Lisa - that's you). By the time they left I felt much better. I got to relax a bit, ice my abs, have something sweet, vent a little and not have to worry about any of my chores. I do still have to worry about getting the carpet cleaned though; I'm not sure the spot cleaner did the trick. Anyway, I'm off to bed...of wait, it sounds like she's up...

Posted by sla5150 at 8:08 PM | Comments (1)

July 25, 2009


We had a productive day today. Dad and Chuck got the baby's room painted. I managed to get a few chores done this morning while Mom was playing with Rachel but had to stop to rest early on. I ran a couple of errands after lunch. Chuck got the dishes done and the toys picked up this evening. Rachel was asleep just past 6PM; she was worn out from her playdate with Grandma. Whew.

Aunt Cindy is coming over to keep an eye on the sleeping girl so Chuck and I can go out tonight. We're going to see Dad in the Holmen Community Theatre production of Arsenic & Old Lace. If I can stay up, we'll probably go out with the cast and crew afterward. This may just be the last date we get in before we have a family of four. We'll see. There's a John Smith show at Ciati's August 20 and if I haven't had this baby yet I'd like to go.

Posted by sla5150 at 6:12 PM | Comments (0)

July 23, 2009


My abdominal muscles hurt a lot. I'm hoping that taking it easy for the weekend and the Arnica and Comfrey that Courtenay recomended will help. Chuck stepped right in as soon as he got home and had Rachel in bed and asleep before 6:00. Then he ran out to get his own dinner (and some ice cream for me) but not before he got me my heat pack. I got a chance to rest on couch and nearly fell asleep.

I have a massage tomorrow. That sould help. My neck, shoulder and back muscles are pretty sore too from compensating so much. Courtenay said I can start taking Bromelain next Wednesday. That should help heal my muscles. I hope it does. The thought of spending the next four weeks plus like this in unbearable. Not only am I in pain, but I feel pretty useless. I can't even pick up Rachel. How am I supposed to take care of her all week by myself if I can't even pick her up?

We'll see how the next week goes. I have another appointment with the midwife in a week and am not afraid to make one sooner if I need to. My parents will be done with the HCT show after this weekend so I'm hoping I can count on them for some help this next week. They were great help this week already. I had my aunt Cindy over this afternoon and she'll be back next Thursday too. My friend Megan is planning to come over tomorrow afternoon for some play time with Rachel too. I'm glad I have people I can count on.

I need my rest. I'm going to bed.

Posted by sla5150 at 8:43 PM | Comments (0)

July 22, 2009

35 weeks

I went to visit the midwife today because my abdominal muscles have been hurting and seemed to be getting worse. It seems my abdominal muscles are separating. In case you wondered, it hurts a lot. I need to take it easy on them for awhile and I probably shouldn't be lifting Rachel unless I absolutely need to. Anyway, Courtenay was a huge help today. She gave me a list of homeopatic remedies to use that should help with the healing. It also helped that Rachel napped for me today (which means that I got to nap today) and my mom gave me the night off.

Thanks to everyone who helps me out and makes my days a little easier. Sometimes you can't make it on your own.

Posted by sla5150 at 9:27 PM | Comments (0)

July 21, 2009

busy day

So after a long night with a sick girl, a long morning of waiting for the refrigerator repair man to come and install the new motor in our refriferator, and a long afternoon with Rachel still not feeling well, I'm glad to be done with the day. Around 4PM I noticed that I didn't really remember the last time I felt the baby move. I drank a big glass of juice and a big glass of cold water but didn't really get a chance to lie down and count kicks. I did feel a couple but not a lot. I got Rachel fed, bathed and asleep by 5:45 and my parents showed up with dinner for me shortly after. Right after dinner Rachel woke and I went in to comfort her and make sure she didn't have an accident. As soon as she calmed down she let me tuck her back in and go about my business. Finally I got a chance to lie down and count my baby's kicks and had ten movements within 10 minutes. Whew. I think that because the movements are more subtle and I was so busy all day that I didn't really notice them. I'm glad thateverything is normal with the baby and hope that Rachel gets a good night sleep and feels better in the morning.

Posted by sla5150 at 6:51 PM | Comments (0)

July 19, 2009

The Fair

At bedtime I always ask Rachel what her favorite part of the day was. We went out to the fair today and she really enjoyed herself. Tonight when I asked her, "What was your favorite part of the day?" she said, "Seeing the bees!" I asked, "What else did you see?" She said, "Cows and hay and horse poop." I love my girl.

Posted by sla5150 at 7:25 PM | Comments (0)

some pictures from the Children's Summer Festival

hello kitty
Rachel met a kitty at the petting zoo.

She got to frost, sprinkle and of course eat a cupcake after the cupcake walk.

painting activity
Rachel loved painting!

waiting in line
She and Daddy got to ride the train.

Posted by sla5150 at 7:08 PM | Comments (0)

34 weeks and 4 days

All went well at our midwife visit last Friday. I'm measuring right on target and it looks like the baby is head-down already. It looks like I'm in for a boring pregnancy. That's a good thing.

Posted by sla5150 at 6:10 PM | Comments (0)

July 15, 2009

Happy Birthday, Sara

Sara 24 mo

Image by cacharbe via Flickr

Happy Birthday to my wife, my partner and my favorite person.

Thank you for the gifts you continuously give me. Our daughter(s), a home to come home to, good advice and love. I wouldn't be able to function without your help and I know you have forced me to be better than I ever thought I could be,

I love you Sara. My wish for you is yet another day of naps, and "I'm ok, I'm alright"

Posted by Chuck Charbeneau at 12:01 AM | Comments (0)

July 14, 2009


Rachel napped two days in a row after a nap strike of twelve days. Woo hoo!!! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Posted by sla5150 at 7:46 PM | Comments (0)

July 8, 2009


So although Rachel managed to not smear poop on the gate at naptime today I'm bracing myself the the next time. We went out to Gymborie and picked up a couple cute pair of one-piece jammies for her. Well tonight while I was outside taking the garbage out she worked her way out of the jammies and when I came back in to check on her she greeted me at the gate with a bare butt and a giggle. Really?

Posted by sla5150 at 7:11 PM | Comments (0)

July 6, 2009

Pictures of Rachel from the 4th of July picnic

Ice Cream Cone

playing in the "tent"
Playing Around

worn out
Worn Out

Posted by sla5150 at 9:27 PM | Comments (0)

32 weeks and 6 days

Alright, I'm way behind on updating this blog. I'm so pregnant and so tired that I never seem to have the time or energy to post. There's not much to post anyway. The pregnancy is going along very smoothly. I am unreasonably moody however. Rachel has decided that she'd rather not miss a thing so she's only been napping once a week and she's been waking in the middle of the night. This is really wearing me out. I'm at the point in this pregnancy that I need to start getting more sleep and I am getting much less. With Chuck gone during the week I look for opportunities to have some time to myself whenever I can. I go to the gym to do water exercise at least twice a week, I go to Parent Connection on Tuesday mornings and I've recently recruited my Aunt Cindy to come over and take Rachel off my hands for a couple hours a week. I'm looking forward to a date night this Thursday; it's rare that we get one of those.

Our next appointment with the midwife is in a week and a half. I'll try to get on and update again then. Although I'm fairly sure there still won't be much to update you on. I'm okay with a boring pregnancy. At least one of my girls isn't giving me grief right now.

Posted by sla5150 at 9:14 PM | Comments (0)